Happy Mother’s Day. Blessings to all our mothers, grandmothers, great-grandmothers, godmothers, and mothers-in-law. May you and your families have a very special day, filled with grace, as we offer this prayer to our Blessed Mother.
Hail, Holy Queen, Mother of mercy. Hail, our life, our sweetness, and our hope. To thee do we cry poor banished children of Eve; to thee do we send up our sighs, mourning and weeping, in this vale of tears. Turn then, most gracious advocate, thine eyes of mercy toward us; and after this our exile, show unto us the blessed fruit of thy womb, Jesus. O clement, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary. Pray for us, O Holy Mother of God, that we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.
On this Mother’s Day we present a list of some Biblical mothers. Please match these Scriptural women with their description. Best wishes!
- Syrophoenician Woman
- Wife of Manoah
- Wife of Zebedee
- She was so named because “she became the mother of all the living.”
- Elkanah’s favorite wife who conspicuously prayed in the Temple for a son.
- She bore Abram’s first son, Ishmael.
- She traveled with her daughter-in-law, back to Judah, after the death of her husband and sons.
- Her son “will go before the Lord to prepare his way.”
- Her twins quarreled with each other while in her womb.
- Her son would be a Nazorite, as well as being an extremely strong person.
- She is the mother of a very wise king.
- She bore a dreamer for Jacob.
- She strongly urged Jesus to heal her daughter after he initially refused.
- St. Paul describes her, Timothy’s mother, as “having a sincere faith.”
- She was a cloth weaver and mother of Tobiah.
- She laughed when told that she would conceive a son in her advanced years.
- “Behold, all generations will call her blessed.”
- She bore half of Jacob’s sons and his only daughter.
- She urged Jesus to give her sons the best seats in the Kingdom.
- She “daubed a papyrus basket with bitumen and pitch” and sent it, and her son, adrift in the Nile.
- Her grandson has a tree named for him, and her great-grandson was, among other things, a skilled harpist.
The following is a prayer of blessing for mothers from the Book of Blessings.
Loving God, as a mother gives life and nourishment to her children, so you watch over your Church. Bless these women, that they may be strengthened as Christian mothers. Let the example of their faith and love shine forth. Grant that we, their sons and daughters, may honor them always with a spirit of profound respect. Grant this through Christ our Lord. Amen.
A-12, B-8, C-5, D-11, E-1, F-3, G-2, H-17, I-15, J-14, K-4, L-9, M-6, N-18, O-13, P-10, Q-7, R-16